Saturday, November 17, 2007

Running the Race



My oldest son runs Cross Country, if you have never been to a meet; it is a lot of fun. The spectators get almost as much exercise as the athletes, because you run from place to place trying to watch them run the course. The boys high school team finished 4th in our State this year and the girls finished 3rd. Their coach held a small banquet for them on Friday. When he was speaking he emphasized that Cross Country was a TEAM sport. Sure individuals run and can place 1st, 2nd, 3rd and so on, but the GOAL is for the team to place. I love how he encourages the guys to run in groups and stay with each other as much as possible. Near the end, they ‘kick it in’ and just run as hard as they can. It made me think about running this race here on earth, it is a team effort. We can encourage and support one another for the good of the team. It is not a competition with each other really, it is doing our best, while supporting and running along side one another, building each other up to finish strong. Like Dawn did here and Janelle here and Carissa here and Alana here. I love this little world of blogging. I love reading about your life, your triumphs and struggles are such an encouragement. Blessings friends. Thanks for trusting us with your thoughts.


4 comments:

Janelle said...

What a great post! I think we get trapped in the sin of comparision all too often. It is a poison that can destroy us from the inside out.

Thank you for sharing that our job is to run along side our brother and sister. Encourage them with our words and actions. Not tear them down with the evil game of competition.

Great reminder for me today.

dawn said...

Oh, Sweet Neighbor and Friend...This was one of the best posts I have read in a while. I can't imagine running this race without you and all the other dear friends we have here in our little town.

God has been so good to us and I am truly grateful.

So honored to share the course with you.

Anonymous said...

ABSOLUTELY true. Great post!

I love the picture...brings back good memories. That coach has always rocked, I hope he will be there when my kids are in high school.

Alana said...

Life most certainly is a team sport. It was designed that way and we work together so beautifully when we unite. Thanks for your thoughts Pam. I loved reading them.