Saturday, March 1, 2008

Like Son, Like Mother

I'm so thankful for God's grace and my kids grace too. I planned a Game night for the kids at our church last night and my Spicy guy was very testy, to put it mildly, all night. It's always harder to deal with him during those times because I am in charge and have to keep all the other kids entertained, yet I want to deal with his behavior. I had to have him sit out a few times. He gets very disrespectful when he is mad, which makes the consequences even worse. I told my husband this morning what happened. Later I heard him talking to Spicy guy and asking him if he would have treated his teacher at school that way ( something I have also asked him before). Of course he said, "No" and so Tod asked him, "who is more important, your mom or your teacher?" He said, "Mom." So Tod told him he shouldn't be talking to me and treating me that way. As I was thinking about that later it hit me that I wouldn't talk to other kids as impatient or frustrated as I do him. I am much more self-controlled with others. And so is he. Enter God's grace!!!! I know there is the fact that his discipline is my responsibility and he needs to continue to learn self-control, but so do I.

7 comments:

Alana said...

Oh friend. If I had a dollar for everything I correct in my children that I need to correct in myself...I'd be a rich, rich woman!

:-)

Janelle said...

Oh, friend. So true, so true. Being a parent is the ultimate word picture of our relationship with our Father. We act just like them while He tries to teach us a better way.

How was the Fun Night?

Shelley said...

Whew. That is definitely true for me! It's so hard for me when Ellie's "spicy". We've had a rough week, that has worn us both down. My own behavior has been less than stellar FOR SURE, in response to hers.

I have to tell you, it was so nice to see your friendly face last week in the kindergarten office. Thanks for the hugs and the kind words!

dawn said...

I hear you friend. We are dealing with the same thing over here, but it is brother to brother. My boys treat friends better than their brothers and that is just not going to fly with me.

I sure love when you share your heart. You just ooze wisdom and I learn so much.

Hope having my kids on Friday night didn't make things more stressful.

Sure love and treasure you!

Anonymous said...

This was such a great reminder for me during this week of 'speaking sweeter'.


Thanks!

Carissa said...

i love the way the Lord does that...shows us things in others as a mirror for ourselves. well, i love it and i hate it i guess. but i know it's a good thing! thanks for sharing that!

michelle said...

That is so true for me as well. Somehow my kids know just the right button to press at just the right time to bring out that side of me that I'd like to keep hidden. I'll so thankful for God's grace!