Thursday, February 7, 2008

I'm Not in Kansas Anymore

I have to say parenting a teen is so different from parenting younger children. (To me anyway.) Everything is new and different. There are so many things that I don't feel prepared for. I just don’t feel as confident in my parenting as I did when he was younger. I mean I was always reading books and I had friends in the same life stage to talk to and compare ideas with and it was just easier to set boundaries. I struggle with so many decisions now. I mean, I don’t think I’m a push over; the basic principles are still there. Be respectful, be honest, honor and obey mom and dad. I think the battle I have is within me. Is it really okay for him to do that? Am I giving him too much freedom? If I say no will he rebel? Is he making good choices? Is he mature enough for that? Can he handle it? AAAAHHHH!!!!! And so, I PRAY! I pray that he will remember what he has been taught and not depart from it. I pray that he will keep God’s word hidden in his heart so that he won’t sin against him. I pray that he will own his faith and desire to please God in all he does. I pray for him to grow in wisdom, stature, and favor with God and man. I pray that I will trust God to fulfill his purpose in his life. I had to go through many trials in my own life that I know and believe God had and has a purpose for. As much as I want to shield my kids from their own trials, I know I can’t. I know God has a purpose for each of them. I have to trust that God will guide me as I seek to do the right thing for my kids.

6 comments:

Janelle said...

And that is why I am crazy about you. You are a wise mom and very well grounded in the Word of God. You have taught your children the Word and they will not depart.

I can't offer you any sage teen advice. I wish I could. But just know that I love you and am in the trenches with you.

Please don't be afraid to call me even though I have no wisdom.

Carissa said...

i feel for you pam. i have many friends who are moms of older kids and they always say it is physically hard when kids are young, but emotionally hard as they grow into young adults. keep giving them to the Lord though...he is the ultimate safe keeper!

Shelley said...

Oh Pam. I cannot imagine yet, how you must feel. I will pray with you, for that sweet boy to stay sweet! I've never met him, but I've met you, and I know he must have your same sweet spirit. Blog about it, please! So that someday in the not-so-distant future, the rest of us can learn from you!

dawn said...

I hear your struggle, but I am so glad to follow in your footsteps. You have shared with me so much wisdom about being a mother and I have no doubt that "He who began a goo work in you and in your Boy1 will carry it on to completion."

I like you, Pam. Like you a lot!

Alana said...

Oh my, the teen years make me shake in my boots! Scary! I'm especially afraid of parenting boys because I only know what teenage girls are like. I think your kids are great. Take good notes, I'm going to need them all too soon.

michelle said...

Pam, God must have been tugging on my heart for you. I've been thinking about my oldest lately and wondering how to stay ahead of our life lessons. It is going to be painful to let our children make mistakes to build their character. Thanks for your encouraging prayer! God is good!